- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fresh tomato, diced
- 15 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until onion becomes translucent and begins to brown , about 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and jalapeno. Continue to cook over medium heat until garlic is fragrant and jalapeno is tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garam masala, turmeric, salt, and pepper then continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, and water. As tomatoes break down, the mixture should take on the texture of a thick stew.
- Add more water if needed before bringing everything to a simmer and then cover with a lid.
- Once covered , cook for 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid, reduce heat to low and mix in lemon juice and chopped cilantro.
- Cook over low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over basmati rice.