- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large can diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 1cup brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped fresh collard greens
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Warm oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic, cumin, curry powder and thyme. Cook until fragrant and pour in the drained and diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes.
- Pour in the lentils, broth and the water. Add in 1 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Use the immersion blender to blend a portion of the soup.
- Add the chopped greens and cook for 5 minutes. Add lemon juice once the soup cools a little.
- Serve hot and enjoy!