- Warm oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic, cumin, curry powder and thyme. Cook until fragrant and pour in the drained and diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes.
- Pour in the lentils, broth and the water. Add in 1 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Use the immersion blender to blend a portion of the soup.
- Add the chopped greens and cook for 5 minutes. Add lemon juice once the soup cools a little.
- Serve hot and enjoy!